- Patent Searching– McKinney Engineering Library
- Guide to Patent Searching – information about patent searching and link to additional tutorials.
- Patent Search Tutorial – Penn State University
- Patents and Patentability – University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- Patent Searching – University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
- U.S. Patent Statistics Guide – McKinney Engineering Library
- Brainstorm keywords related to the purpose, use and composition of the invention.
- Look up the words in the Index to the U.S. Patent Classification to find potential class/subclasses.
- Verify the relevancy of the class/subclasses by using the Classification Schedule in the Manual of Classification .
- Read the Classification Definitions to verify the scope of the subclasses and note “see also” references.
Review and References
- Review the claims, specifications and drawings of documents retrieved for relevancy.
- Check all references and note the “U.S. Cl.” and “Field of Search” areas for additional class/subclasses to search.
The USPTO has a lot of information regarding patent searching including a video tutorial.
You can search, view or print patents online at: